Having done lots of fun research looking for a special coffee based cocktail for our special Afternoon Tea Tour, we decided to create this, based on a recipe taken from Batched & Bottled by Max and Noel Venning. It is delicious hot coffee, poured over amazing buttered Holy Grass Vodka and topped with yummy shortbread cream!
Sounds tricky, but broken down into stages it is so simple 🙂
This can be prepared in advance and simply put together when required! It is fabulous cocktail that can be made in larger quantities, as we did for our event. This recipe should create around 10-15 cocktails but you don’t need to drink them all at once!
Buttered Holy Grass Vodka
- Pour 500ml of Holy Grass Vodka into a large container and stir in 150g of caster sugar until dissolved
- Melt 100g of butter in a pan for around 5 minutes, watching carefully, until it starts to go caramelly brown with a nutty aroma
- Add the melted butter to the vodka and sugar and stir to combine
- Cover the container and freeze overnight
- The next day, remove the solidified butter and strain through a filter/muslin cloth into a bottle
- Have a wee taster and then seal until required
- This will keep in the fridge for up to 1 year – if it lasts that long!!
- Blend 100g of shortbread biscuits with 100ml of whole milk
- Leave to infuse for 30 minutes
- Strain through a cheesecloth/muslin into a large bowl. Take care not to allow any ‘crumbs’ through
- Add 300ml of double cream
- Whisk until soft peaks form with a wee bit of fluidity
- This will keep covered in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
- Pour 35 ml of buttered Holy Grass Vodka into glass (take care that the glass will withstand some heat)
- Top with 100ml of freshly brewed coffee
- Spoon the shortbread cream on top
- Sprinkle with a little crushed shortbread