Having done lots of fun research looking for a special coffee based cocktail for our special Afternoon Tea Tour, we decided to create Holy Highland Coffee. Delicious hot coffee poured over amazing buttered Holy Grass Vodka and topped with yummy shortbread cream!
Sounds tricky, but broken down into stages it is so simple 🙂
- 500ml Holy Grass Vodka
- 150g Caster sugar
- 100g Butter
- 100g Shortbread
- 100ml Whole milk
- 300ml Double cream
- Freshly brewed coffee
- Garnish: crushed shortbread
Holy Grass Vodka
- Pour the vodka into a large container and stir in the caster sugar until dissolved
- Melt the butter in a pan for around 5 minutes, watching carefully until it starts to go caramelly brown with a nutty aroma
- Add the melted butter to the vodka and stir to combine
- Cover the container and place in the freezer overnight
- The following day, remove the solidified butter and strain the liquid through a filter/muslin cloth into a bottle
- Have a wee taster and then seal until required. This will keep in the fridge for up to one year - if it lasts that long!
- Blend the shortbread with the milk and leave to infuse for 30 minutes
- Strain through a cheesecloth/muslin into a large bowl. Take care not to allow any crumbs through
- Add the double cream and whisk until soft peaks form
- This will keep covered in the fridge for up to 48 hours
- Pour 35ml buttered Holy Grass Vodka into glass (take care that the glass will withstand some heat)
- Top with 100ml freshly brewed coffee
- Spoon the shortbread cream on top
- Garnish: a sprinkle of crushed shortbread
Buttered Holy Grass Vodka
This can be prepared in advance and simply put together when required. This recipe should create around 10-15 cocktails but you don’t need to drink them all at once!
We based this on a recipe from a fabulous cocktail book called Batched & Bottled by Max and Noel Venning.