I created these doughnuts while trying out ideas for our #RockRoseBakeOff competition. Social media went crazy for the image I posted and I was asked to share the recipe …..
- 14 Juniper berries
- 75ml Milk
- 1 Orange, zested
- 200g Caster sugar
- 2 Rosemary sprigs
- 250g Strong white flour
- 25g Caster sugar
- 20g Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Egg
- 7g Instant yeast
- 5g Salt
Rock Rose Gin
- Bash the juniper berries and place in the milk to soak
- Oven dry the orange zest and add to a large bowl of caster sugar with the rosemary. Cover tightly and leave to infuse
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, butter, egg, yeast and the salt
- Warm the milk and remove the juniper berries. Pour the milk into the large bowl along with 3 tablespoons of water
- Mix with your hands to make a dough, gradually adding another tablespoon of water. Knead the dough for 10 minutes, on a lightly floured surface, until smooth and elastic
- Put the dough into a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise
- After 40 minutes, tip the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1cm thick. Use a 8cm round cutter to cut out discs and a 2cm cutter to remove the insides
- Set the rings on an oiled baking tray, cover with cling film and let rise for a further 30 minutes
- Using a deep fat fryer heat sunflower oil to 180c. Drop them in one at a time, cooking for around 1 minute each side
- Remove and roll to coat in the rosemary and orange sugar.
The day before...
On the day...
Sit back and enjoy your lovely Rock Rose inspired doughnuts, garnish with a refreshing G&T!