This Autumnal Ginger Spice Cake is an old recipe from a community cookbook which my mum had. It has been updated with the addition of soaking the sultanas in our Autumn Edition Rock Rose Gin!
- 1 cup Sultanas
- 0.5 cup Rock Rose Gin Autumn Edition
- 230g Butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3 tsp Mixed spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1.75 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Self Raising Flour
- 5-6 Nasturtium flowers
Rock Rose Gin Autumn Edition
- Line two loaf tins and pre-heat the oven to 180c
- Pre-soak the sultanas in the Autumn Edition Rock Rose Gin
- In a large pan add the sultanas, butter, sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, ginger along with 1.5 cups of water. Let simmer.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Add the beaten eggs, flour, bicarbonate of soda and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared tins and bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Cool in the tins for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the tins and allow to cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Once cool, drizzle over icing and decorate with nasturtium flowers.